- The “So Chef!” Annual Gastronomic Event took place in Port Elizabeth from the 7 October – 11 October 2019.
On Monday, 7 October the first event of the week kicked off at Muse Restaurant, where Chef Joey, Allan and Simone prepared a starter of Reunion smoked trout, Combava and cumin cream, Combava gel and charcoal crouton; a rump smoked kadaif, baba ganoush, vegetable samoussa and massale for mains and Grand marnier soaked savarin, chantilly cream, seasonal fruit and vanilla ice-cream for dessert.
On Tuesday, 8 October a Wine and Food Pairing was hosted at the Alliance which was coordinated by Chef Joey, PE TVET College: Victoria Deli Team and Janco from The Taste Room to pair some of South Africa’s best wines with Reunion Island and South African tastes.
- Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot paired with roast beef, mushroom and feta canape.
- Pinotage paired with Phyllo pastry cups with traditional bobotie filling
- Chenin Blanc paired with chicken on fried eggplant and red pepper(on a skewer)
- Natural sweet rose paired with smoked salmon with flavored cream cheese on potato rosti and prawn shrimp with “cari sauce”
On Wednesday, 9 October PE Foodies’ knowledge was put to the test at Trivia Night where two teams of four competed for “Bragging Rights”. The participants had a lot of fun and got to taste exotic foods.
The final dinner of the week was hosted at Ginger The Restaurant on Thursday, 10 October. Chef Joey and Chef Stewart prepared a Creamed biltong soup topped with smoked venison carpaccio and massale infused crostini for starters; Pan seared fish topped with a massale crust, cari sauce, vegetable samoussa and bringel rougail for the main dish and Creme brulee for dessert.
We ended off the week with a Movie Eat-along coordinated by Chef Joey and PE TVET College: Victoria Deli Team. 20 guests watched and ate along to “Haute Cuisine” at the Alliance and enjoyed the food displayed in the movie:
- Salmon in cabbage parcel
- Choux pastry with caramel and cream
- Mini beef wellington
- Berry sweet tart
- Mini sliced poached pears in pastry case
- Chicken liver canapé
- Mushroom canapé
- Mini cream cake
An exclusive Cooking workshop was hosted for 10 individuals at a private location where they cooked up a storm with Chef Joey on Friday morning. They prepared:
- Vegetables stuffed with rougail sausage, tataki
- Yellow tail
- Vegetable jardiniere,
- Dessert: creme brulee.